Sunday, October 18, 2015

Mulan!

To appease my appalled friends, I watched Mulan for the first time this weekend. It definitely wasn't my favorite Disney film, but I was very entertained, and I am happy I finally watched it. I tried to watch the film from a non analytical perspective, but I couldn't help notice the interesting depiction of the Chinese culture. As part of this culture, there was a lot of references to the gods, prayer, and religion, which seem uncharacteristic for Disney. From what I perceived in a single viewing, the movie seemed to portray the Chinese culture as very oppressive, and Mulan triumphs over the evil that is her culture. I would be interested to read reviews of this movie, and I wonder if anyone more informed than I about the Chinese culture and the movie found it offensive.


http://aimg.disneystore.com/content/ds/skyway/2012/category/full/cp_FWB_Mulan_20120926.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment